Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Pancakes


My son loves pancakes. He also loves waking up super early to have them made for him. I, am not a morning person and this does not make for a good equation. He is yelling at me to make pancakes and I am yelling back to leave me alone...it's early! This doesn't start the day off very good- for him or me. And in the meantime, we are trying not to wake my daughter up, who was giggling and talking to herself in her crib till 10:30pm....scratch that- I am trying not to wake my daughter up.

Anyway, my son started crying and asked if I was mad at him. Wow....wake up call. My son is growing up and has serious feelings. Real feelings, like me. He obviously doesn't like being yelled at....he is a lot like me, and I hate being yelled at.

As a parent, I face things I regret or mistakes I feel I made, every day. It really stinks. I feel really bad right now. I wish I could take back every word I said, or at least the tone I had.

This is a public apology to my son....I am sorry I yelled. The pancakes are made, the situation is over, my son is happy....so why do I still feel like I have permanently ruined him?

Time for a change- I better watch how I talk to him, or he could talk like that to his child. Man, sometimes it stinks that a 3 1/2 year old has to teach such a strong lesson.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is so cute/funny/true! I always write down or think about what I don't like that my parents do and try to see how I could do it better. We are big yellers over here as well and I hate it also. It gets passed down through generation though, so I am making a conscious effort to stop while I can.